A straightforward transition plan (was: Re: V6 still not supported)

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) pthubert at cisco.com
Thu Mar 31 09:03:42 UTC 2022

Hi Mark and all:

Indeed, we have a plethora of IPv4 encapsulation and 4-to-6 techniques.

I read somewhere down the threads that we (at IETF) made a "stupendously" bad bet thinking that IPv6 would be generalized quickly thanks to those techniques.

Being partially guilty of that (e.g., but not limited to, USPTO 7,443,880 filed in 2004 that became 464XLAT), I can see that the 4-to-6 step involving CG NATs and all was a too big step to be taken. It's not a step, it's a 100m jump.

Looking at it from a distance, I came to challenge that it is even a requirement to the transition plan. If we look at it, a stack that is not capable of IPv6 is now a legacy stack. It's ultimate goal is probably to connect a legacy IPv4 client application to a legacy IPv4 server and it will not need anything more in its whole life. For that use case, both app and server can live forever as they are, as far as the plan is concerned, provided that we continue to give them a 464XLAT or a DSlite tunnel, which is not that hard if the numbers are counted.

If we accept that connecting that legacy device with any future IPv6-only application is effectively a non-goal, then we open the thought process to a migration that takes several baby steps, each step easy to make, as opposed to the large one that proved unfeasible in 20 years.

Instead, what we really want for this plan is to design feasible baby steps, each representing connectivity between a level of evolution and the next, BUT NOT attempting to provide connectivity between the first level (legacy IPv4 only app) and the ultimate level (IPv6-only networks and servers). Something like  1<->2<->..<->N as opposed to 1<->N which proved unfeasible.

My view of the steps we'd need to make:

- extend the size of public IPv4 addressable realms. I read the ask in many threads in this list
- extend that to some IPv6-only end-points leveraging the above
- extend that to generic IPv6

With design constraints that make this deployable:

- allow IPv4-only network domains
- allow IPv6-only network domains
- use stateless NATs only
- allow the NAT to be anywhere from bump in the stack to X-only realm borders

Does this seem desirable to you?

If so, yes, we can make that happen. Then we'll see how the IPvx domains play GO together, based on real usefulness vs cost.

Pascal