Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Wed Mar 30 23:26:50 UTC 2022

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 04:47:08 -0700
John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

>   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-240/

The draft touches on IANA considerations, but this seems inadequate to
make any more progress and gain wider acceptance.

It seems to me there has been compelling arguments made about the
ability to rx, tx, and relay packets with these addresses, but the real
challenge remains, how should they be allocated? The document should
probably request that they be changed from reserved to experimental
explicitly.  Suggesting the IETF/IANA just figure out what to do with
them later seems unsatisfying.

Perhaps the equivalent of an IAB-style workshop report or position paper
that goes into potential allocation choices and effects in detail is
worthwhile?

I'd imagine you'd get lots of interesting presentations on a possible
allocation strategies and challenges if you decide to organize
something like this. I'd like to see some options for the IANA/IETF.
Let's see someone dissect what if anything RIRs should get and what the
effect of different policies for the new blocks might be.  Let's hear
about some interesting new special-use ideas.  I'd love to see someone
suggest a spectrum-like auction to the highest bidder and get doused
with rotten fruit... etc :-)

John