CGNAT scaling cost (was V6 still not supported)

Vasilenko Eduard vasilenko.eduard at huawei.com
Wed Mar 30 18:04:02 UTC 2022

Hi Jared,
I did mean big systems where performance needed is n*100Gbps or bigger.
For router or CGNAT: the chassis cost is less than 1 card. Hence, all cost is in ports (for the big router up to 95% if counting QSFP too). Chassis, power supplies, switching fabrics - could be discarded for a big system cost estimation.
You could think that I was comparing the average cost for the 100GE port of the router and CGNAT
That may be wire-speed for the reasonable average packet size (750B?)
And typical profile 6:1 upstream/downstream.

Scaling router and especially CGNAT (that is very often big because centralized) means: adding cards to empty slots.
Where all cost is in the ports only.
It is a little more complex for CGNAT because input/output ports are separate from processing cards. But let's assume that the proper mix is inserted.

Of course, if you would use router card ports by 50% (or install not all processing cards for CGNAT) then the cost may vary.
But let's assume almost full utilization for comparable results. It would be the case for the big populated system anyway.

Hence, yes, it is almost linear for big systems.
But if you would start from just 1 card (not possible for a big system?) then the port cost would start from 2x (+ common components).

Eduard