Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Wed Mar 30 00:51:44 UTC 2022

Owen DeLong wrote:

>> As I repeatedly pointed out, end to end NAT is clean preserving
>> the universal peer to peer nature of the Internet.
>
> Nope… It really isn’t.

Wrong.

> The problem of audit trail opacity is still a major issue with any form
> of stateful NAT.

How poorly you understand NAT.

As I wrote in my draft:

    Depending on how port numbers are shared, there are static and
    dynamic E2ENAT or combinations of them. With static E2ENAT, an end
    host is assigned port numbers statically, which is necessary for a
    server with a stable IP address and a port number.

static E2ENAT is not, with your questionable terminology, stateful.

It is even possible to construct legacy NAT which dynamically,
thus statefully, assign ports only from some static range,
which does not need state maintenance, for each private IP
address.

						Masataka Ohta