IPv6 "bloat" history

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) pthubert at cisco.com
Tue Mar 29 09:21:14 UTC 2022

Hello Ohta-san

> An ARP table entry can be created when an IP address is assigned during
> registration process and destroyed if the registration is invalidated.
>
> Or, do I misunderstand anything?

You're perfectly correct. This is exactly what the registration would be for. I'm concerned about its adoption that I do not see coming on Wi-Fi/ Ethernet, even for v6 (SLAAC) where the problem is a lot worse*.

The IoT world already adopted the registration model, though. Millions of nodes on 802.15.4 radios are deployed to prove it works. We even redistribute RFC 8505 in routing protocols that carry host routes in IoT networks (RPL), which is how we avoid your lookup issue on a wide low power mesh network.

Extending the registration to IPv4 is easy, we could even use mapped addresses and be done. But what magic will trigger attention / adoption when adoption is not showing in IPv6?

Keep safe;

Pascal

* APs today snoop DHCP; DHCP is observable and stateful, with a lifetime that allows to clean up. So snooping it is mostly good enough there. The hassle is the SL in SLAAC which causes broadcasts and is not deterministically observable; this problem is specific to IPv6. We already have the registration to avoid snooping DHCP and SLAAC; yet we do not observe any adoption in mainline APs and STAs.