A straightforward transition plan (was: Re: V6 still not supported)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Mon Mar 28 16:06:54 UTC 2022

Philip Homburg wrote:
> It should be clear that an IPv4-only host only speaks IPv4. This means
> that communication with an IPv4-only host has to be IPv4.

This did not have to be true, had there been an extension/option
standardized at the same time as IPv6 for IPv4 packets to be gateway'd
into IPv6 transparently and efficiently (thru any dual stacked
host/router), than at this point we would have likely been looking at 4
classes of nodes

- IPv4 only, legacy, requires translation to communicate directly with ipv6

- IPv4 only, extended, just needs a gateway to communicate directly with
IPv6

- Dual Stack

- IPv6 only

Such additional functionality, could have been organically updated into
most major OS's without any required network topology changes.

Joe