[EXTERNAL] Re: ISP data collection from home routers

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Sat Mar 26 20:47:04 UTC 2022

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022, Mu wrote:

[...]
> While I agree that many consumers don't place much value on their own data,
> resulting in them not particularly caring about that data, in my experience it
> often stems from ignorance of what can be done with that data (if they even know
> that the data is being collected in the first place). Once the implications of
> sharing specific data is known, my anecdata has shown that the average person will
> make some adjustments to their data-sharing habits. At the very least, an informed
> decision can be made.
>
> However, when it comes to intricate technical data from their home routers being
> hoarded, we can't really expect the average consumer to form an informed decision
> on the data being shared, can we? I don't think the default should be "collect as
> much as we can because they probably won't care" in the absence of an informed
> consumer.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mu
[...]

I discuss the relation between (sometimes unseen) data collection
valuation and the decision to allow it at pages 1728-1745 (Part II
sections B-D) of Regulating Mass Surveillance as Privacy Pollution:
Learning from Environmental Impact Statements, 2015 U. Ill. L. Rev. 1713
(2015), availabe from https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2400736

-Michael

--
A. Michael Froomkin https://law.tm 305-284-4285 ssrn: bit.ly/1XlTJLz
Laurie Silvers & Mitchell Rubenstein Distinguished Professor of Law