Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Sun Mar 27 20:35:15 UTC 2022

Hi, Brandon:

1)    "So each RAN has no possibility of redundant connections?  ..
":    There is difference between "via one IPv4 public address" and
"wide bandwidth or multiple channels". The former is called "numbering
plan". The latter is part of "traffic engineering". The former defines
the configuration / architecture of the latter, but not restricts its
capability. One simple analogy is that a corporation headquarters
publishes only one (representative) telephone number. But, everyone
knows that there are multiple physical channels to carry the
simultaneous conversations. So, we discuss about network architecture
here. Then, the implementation engineering will take care of the details.

2)    " It also looks like an opportunity for telcos/governments to
partition their part of the internet and impose whatever censorship they
wish. ...  ":    The EzIP scheme provides an alternative to the current
"Internet way" operation model and can operate in parallel while
none-interfering to each other. There is no intention for EzIP to
replace the current Internet. The hope is to let the two models operate
in real time for the consumer to make the informed choice, as in a free
market.

3)    " You previously described this as like connecting CG-NATs
together via a VPN. ...   ":    I do not believe that I have ever
mentioned VPN in any of our literature, nor correspondence. I would
appreciate learning where did you find such a connection.

4)    " As it's a CG-NAT variant why are you delaying yourself by
requiring new address space that will take a long time to become
available?    ": As it has become evident recently through various
posting, the 240/4 netblock has been used "behind-the-scene" by many
projects without the explicit permission by ICANN. Since packets with
240/4 addressing get dropped by existing routers, it actually makes the
deployment of the new project easier. EzIP can be deployed in the same
fashion as well. However, with the Unicast Extension Project became
known, we would like to go along with their efforts to make the EzIP
process more "Kosher".

5)    "... Why not use the already allocated space for CG-NAT? Sure it's
only a /10 but that's an already (probably too) large RAN....    ":
The CG-NAT netblock of /10 is only one fourth of the largest private
netblock 10/8. So, it is not big enough for the next level of challenge.
Making use of the 240/4 netblock allows EzIP to serve a large enough
geographical area, so that a true "Regional" Area Network characteristic
may be achieved. A RAN can serve a population of upto 39M, even before
employing the three conventional private netblocks. So, it is possible
to experiment the wish of the "Country" networks idea proposed by ITU
about one decade ago. Whether it is better or worse than the current
Internet, EzIP provides a separate test bed for such, instead of verbal
debates forever.

6)    " It also seems unfeasibly optimistic that if the work was done
globally to make 240/4 useable that they'd want to dedicate it to the as
yet undeployed EzIP. ...  ":    As have been hinted a couple times
already on this forum, the ideal EzIP initial deployment beds are the
existing CG-NAT modules. All we need to do is to enable the routers in a
CG-NAT module to route 240/4 netblock and retire the 100.64/10 netblock.
Since every customer premises can have a static 240/4 address, the DHCP
process in the CG-NAT can fade out. The current communication between
this CG-NAT with the Internet core remains unchanged. This process can
be done gradually, one CG-NAT module at a time. No one outside of each
of such tranistin will even notice something has happened. There is no
need to do this globally in one shot, at all.

7)    "Is 240/4 special to EzIP such that alternative numbers may not be
used?   " No, nothing is special here. The only reason that 240/4 is
attractive is because it is big, continuous as well as being "Reserved
for Future use" for so long. It is like a never-never land, fresh enough
to do something really grand and for the long term.

8)    " That sounds an entirely undesirable goal for the internet.
":    As I state above, EzIP offers a configuration for experimenting a
(or more) parallel Internet(s). they will not interfere the current
Internet, nor one another. So, what is your concern or reservation?

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-27 16:35)