Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 14:49:37 UTC 2022

On Sun Mar 27, 2022 at 12:31:48AM -0400, Abraham Y. Chen wrote:
> EzIP proposes to deploy 240/4
> address based RANs, each tethering off the current Internet via one IPv4
> public address.

So each RAN has no possibility of redundant connections? Nobody
of scale would accept such a limitation. It also looks like an
opportunity for telcos/governments to partition their part
of the internet and impose whatever censorship they wish.

> As such, the collection of RANs forms an overlay network
> layer wrapping around the current Internet core. Consequently, only the
> SPRs in the RAN need to be able to transport 240/4 addressed packets.

You previously described this as like connecting CG-NATs together via a
VPN. I don't see why we'd want to add maintaining a global VPN to
already difficult peering relationships. It could be used to exlude non
EzIP club members.

> This is why we talk about enabling new (but based on existing design)
> routers to use 240/4 netblock for serving as SPRs, but not perturbing
> any routers in the current Internet.

As it's a CG-NAT variant why are you delaying yourself by requiring
new address space that will take a long time to become available? Why
not use the already allocated space for CG-NAT? Sure it's only a /10
but that's an already (probably too) large RAN.

It also seems unfeasibly optimistic that if the work was done globally
to make 240/4 useable that they'd want to dedicate it to the as yet
undeployed EzIP. You might stand more chance if you gained some
critical mass using the existing available 100.64/10 & rfc1918 space,
and then those that find they need more in one RAN will make the case
for 240/4 when it becomes necessary for them. Is 240/4 special to
EzIP such that alternative numbers may not be used?

> I would like to share one intriguing graphics (see URL below) that
> is almost perfect for depicting the EzIP deployment configuration.
> Consider the blue sphere as the earth or the current Internet core and
> the golden colored land as the RANs. By connecting each continent,
> country or all the way down to a Region to the earth via one IPv4
> address, we have the EzIP configuration. With this architecture, each
> RAN looks like a private network.

That sounds an entirely undesirable goal for the internet.

brandon