MAP-T

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Mar 27 09:42:27 UTC 2022

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> writes:

> It comes from actual measurements in residential networks that already
> offer IPv6.
>
> In typical residential networks, a very high % of the traffic is
> Google/Youtube, Netflix, Facebook, CDNs, etc., which all are IPv6
> enabled.

I wonder about that...

In our small corner of the world, Tore has these useful measurements
from a dual stack "high volume" web site (a local newspaper).  This is a
mix of enterprise and residential users on all types of access
(ethernet, HFC, GPON, DSL, pigeon):
https://munin.fud.no/vg.no/www.vg.no/vg_ds_telenor.html

These users have had native dual stack (DHCPv6-PD + DHCP) for 5+ years.
And most of them use their operator provided CPEs where dual-stack is
enabled by default. Still, as you can see, only 50% of the clients end
up using IPv6.  I don't know why, but assume this is caused by the
client systems behind the CPE.  Either they don't support IPv6 or the
users have disabled it.

> Typically, is also similar in mobile networks, and this has been
> confirmed also by measurements in v6ops mailing list, for example from
> T-Mobile. If I recall correctly that was 3-4 years ago and was already
> 75% IPv6 traffic.

Yes, for traditional mobile (i.e handsets) the picture is completely
different.  Same view shows an average of 85% IPv6 on mobile access:
https://munin.fud.no/vg.no/www.vg.no/vg_ds_telenor_mobil.html

Note that the last 3G cell was switched off in January 2021 in this
network, eliminating any client older than 10 years in practice (2G is
still supported, but... well, it's not going to show up on traffic
volume measurments).

> Enterprises usually have a lower IPv6 %, so actual numbers in a given
> ISP my depend on the ratio of enterprise/residential customers. It may
> also depend on the case of residentials, on the age of SmartTVs, which
> may not be IPv6 enabled.

Yes, this will also affect the first measurement since it is a mix of
enterprise/residential.  But the majority is residential, as this
relative volume by time of day clearly shows:
https://munin.fud.no/vg.no/www.vg.no/vg_ipv6_telenor.html

In any case, I'll claim it's hard for a fixed access provider to achive
much more than 50% IPv6 volume today.  We'll have to start disabling
IPv4 to get better results than that.

Mobile is a different animal, with client systems being replaced
constantly.

Bjørn