Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Mar 27 00:38:48 UTC 2022

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 12:37:59PM -0400, Tom Beecher wrote:

> > Have you ever considered that this may be in fact:
> >
> > */writing/* and */deploying/* the code that will allow the use of 240/4 the
> > way you expect
> >

> While Mr. Chen may have considered that, he has repeatedly hand waved that
> it's 'not that big a deal.', so I don't think he adequately grasps the
> scale of that challenge.

It seems like it should only require changes on a few billion nodes,
given the size of the IPv4 address space, right?

Oh, wait, NAT...

So I guess the question here is how do you plan to incentivize the
patching of all these devices, many of which are legacy devices with
no maintainer for the firmware/software, in roles where they may not
be accessible, and protected by firewalls that understand Class E to
be unusable space.

I am unclear on the desirability of "fixing" the IPv4 network by
touching lots of nodes, in a manner which will never be comprehensive,
in order to free up a relatively small block of space.  It's going to
be crippled, less-valuable space.  It seems to me like it'd be much
more productive, if you're going to be touching gear, to move towards
IPv6.

... JG
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that
democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"-Asimov