Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Sat Mar 26 13:35:30 UTC 2022

Hi, Owen:

0)    Re: Ur. Pt. 2): This topic is such a tongue-twister. Let's put it
aside for now, until I can properly convey the EzIP concept and scheme
to you.

00)    Re: Ur. Pt. 4):    Okay, I was concerned about how to decipher
this cryptic exchange. So let's put it aside as well.

1)    Re: Ur. Pt. 1): Yes, you are correct that the EzIP network
architecture looks like that of CG-NAT. In fact, it is exactly the same.
This is actually the beauty of the EzIP solution. That is, without
touching the hardware, by implementing the EzIP technique (*/disabling/*
the program code that has been */disabling/* the use of the 240/4
netblock), an existing CG-NAT module becomes a RAN! As to universal
peer-to-peer, where is any of such today? On the other hand, upon fully
implemented the EzIP proposal (the second phase: making use of the
Option Word in RFC791), an IoT in one RAN can directly reach a second
IoT in another RAN world-wide. So that the original promise of the
Internet will be finally fulfilled and for the long haul.

2)    Re: Ur. Pt. 3): Similarly, you probably only recognized the part
that EzIP proposes to classify the 240/4 netblock as the fourth private
address in RFC1918, but overlooked that such capacity will enable a RAN
to cover a geographic area as big as Tokyo Metro, or 75% of smaller
countries around the world, even before utilizing the conventional three
private netblocks. This puts 240/4 into a different league from the
other three conventional private netblocks, although all four have
basically the same technical characteristics. Now, visualizing each RAN
is tethered from the existing Internet core by one umbilical cord (one
IPv4 address), it appears like a private network. So that each RAN can
provide Internet services by utilizing existing technologies, while
avoiding those undesired. Combining these RANs around the world, an
*/overlay/* layer of routers (SPRs) can operate in parallel to the
current Internet. Under such a configuration, the latter no long is
involved with daily local activities, but only carries inter-RAN
traffic, very much like the division between national and international
telephone networks. This creates quite a different operation landscape.
Please have a look at slide # 11 of the below whitepaper for a rough
breakdown of the available addresses under the EzIP scheme. Furthermore,
if used diligently, (treating IP address as "*/natural resources/*"
instead of "*/personal properties/*"), the assignable "EzIP addresses"
can last quite awhile.

https://www.avinta.com/phoenix-1/home/EzIPenhancedInternet.pdf

3)    Re: Ur. Pts. 5) & 6):    I believe that there is a philosophic /
logic baseline that we need to sort out, first. That is, we must keep in
mind that the Internet community strongly promotes "*/personal
freedom/*". Assuming that by stopping others from working on IPv4 will
shift their energy to IPv6 is totally contradicting such a principle. A
project attracts contributors by its own merits, not by relying on
artificial barriers to the competitions. Based on my best understanding,
IPv6 failed right after the decision of "not emphasizing the backward
compatibility with IPv4". It broke one of the golden rules in the system
engineering discipline. After nearly three decades, still evading such
fact, but defusing IPv6 issues by various tactics is the real impedance
to progress, not only to IPv4 but also to IPv6.

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-26 09:35 EDT)

On 2022-03-25 22:17, Owen DeLong wrote:

> [...]
>>> it’s costing them money to support it. ....   " & "... Content
>>> providers turning off v4 face competition from content providers
>>> that don’t. ...  ":    These two statements appeared to come from
>>> two separate posting of yours. They seemed to be contradicting each
>>> other. Did I misread somehow?
>
> No, it is not contradictory at all…
>
> Content providers that have deployed IPv6 are eager to turn off IPv4
> as soon as it won’t lose them customers. They are worried about losing
> customers because competition exists that might not turn off IPv4 at
> the same time they do. Thus, there is a need for customers to be IPv6
> deployed before content providers can start turning off IPv4. Thus,
> the persistence of IPv4 in clients, especially enterprises, is costing
> content providers money.
>
>>> Now from the last post below:
>>>
>>> 3) "  ... 240/4 is way more effort than its proponents want to
>>> believe and even if it were reclassified effectively as GUA, it
>>> doesn’t buy all that much life for IPv4....   ": Please see
>>> information provided by Pt. 1) above.
>
> OK, so you want to extend RFC-1918 instead… Arguably even more
> worthless than reclassifying it as GUA. While it’s true that some very
> large deployments are short of RFC-1918 space, the reality is that the
> real shortage is in the GUA realm.
>
>>> 4) " ... I think it should be reclassified from never going to be
>>> used into some part of the internet might actually do something with
>>> it. Its important that happens now, better late then never ...
>>> Please feel free to use it for router IDs in BGP and/or OSPF area
>>> numbers. :p ...    ":    I am in full agreement with you. Our
>>> proposal is the solution in Pt. 1) above.
>
> That’s not me. That’s Joe Maimon IIRC. My part was “Pleas feel free to
> use it for router IDs in BGP and/or OSPF area numbers. :p.
>
> It was mostly a snarky comment since neither BGP Router IDs nor OSPF
> Area numbers are actually IP addresses.
>
>>> 5) "  ...  if we continue to waste effort that is better spent
>>> deploying IPv6 on bandaids and hacks to make v4 last just a little
>>> longer, .... ":    This is not a productive opinion. Please do not
>>> forget that the Internet heavily promotes personal freedom. One can
>>> not force others to do something that they do not believe in.
>>> Stopping them from doing one thing does not automatically make them
>>> to do what you like. A project must have its own merits that attract
>>> contribution. The failure of the IPv6 actually started from when a
>>> decision was made to the effect of "not to emphasize backward
>>> compatibility with IPv4" which broke one of the golden rules in
>>> system engineering. Not recognizing such and focusing to find a way
>>> for remedying it, but continuing to force others to migrate to IPv6
>>> camp with various tactics does not foster progress.
>
> We can agree to disagree about that… I think trying to continue to
> support IPv4 is not a productive opinion.
>
>>> 6) "  ... The problem is that we’re not talking about parallel
>>> experiments. ... ":    EzIP is a parallel experiment to the current