ISP data collection from home routers

Anne Mitchell amitchell at isipp.com
Thu Mar 24 15:05:48 UTC 2022

> On Mar 24, 2022, at 7:26 AM, Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
>
> I'm surprised we're having this discussion about an internet device that the customer is using to publicize all of their information on Facebook and Twitter.  Consumers do not care enough about their privacy to the point where they are providing the information willingly.

And that's the point;  with Facebook and Twitter they are giving up their data willingly (granted they often barely (or don't at all) comprehend the amount and type of data, but there is at least nominal consent).

With the routers, they have *zero* idea;  even if the "consent" is buried in their terms to which they 'agreed', they have no idea.

Anne

--
Anne P. Mitchell, Attorney at Law
CEO Get to the Inbox by SuretyMail
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal email marketing law)
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Dean Emeritus, Cyberlaw & Cybersecurity, Lincoln Law School
Prof. Emeritus, Lincoln Law School
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Legal Counsel: The CyberGreen Institute
In-house Counsel: Mail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS) (Closed in 2004)