ISP data collection from home routers

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Mar 24 16:08:28 UTC 2022

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 09:26:31AM -0400, Josh Luthman wrote:
> I'm surprised we're having this discussion about an internet device that
> the customer is using to publicize all of their information on Facebook and
> Twitter.  Consumers do not care enough about their privacy to the point
> where they are providing the information willingly.

So your theory is that just because YOU have Facebook and you're fine
sharing information (/don't care/whatever), that *I* have to suffer
that fate as well?

Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but there's a very active business in the
form of VPN's, DNS-over-HTTPS, and other privacy-enhancing technologies
that seem to indicate that people do have an interest in privacy and
limiting the amount of ISP monetization of their data that can go on.

Just because some people might be fine with their data being leaked
does not mean that everyone is fine with it.

... JG
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that
democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"-Asimov