V6 still not supported

james.cutler at consultant.com james.cutler at consultant.com
Wed Mar 23 19:21:30 UTC 2022

> On 23 Mar 2022, at 1:34 AM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at jmaimon.com <mailto:jmaimon at jmaimon.com>> wrote:
> Since IPv6 was born of the effort to fix the upcoming address shortage visible at the time and to prevent and alleviate the resulting negative effects, the fact that it did not and that globally v4 address shortage is still a problem is a tally of multiple years of failure.

I noticed that no one on NANOG in the nineties predicted the foot-dragging and whining regarding transition from IPv4 toIPv6. We probably should have done so. I, for one, was busy trying to manage interconnects between divisions with their autonomous ref1918 worlds. I applauded the prospect of global unique addressing. So far the technical process has had rocky moments, but it ongoing failure has not happened.

Any failure experienced is largely a failure of management/accounts to invest in the future for something that the media can not turn into sound bites and flashy images. This displays a clear lack of enlightened self interest.

Even in my home office, over the last nine years I have observed continually increasing IPv6 access for myself and my clients.  Comcast  has demonstrated that IPv6 has no deleterious effect on typical user experience. Apple and Microsoft have provided admirable support for IPv6 coexisting with IPv4 on end systems. I suggest that it may be more important to deploy solutions to BufferBloat, to the benefit of both IPv4 and IPv6 since it will improve the user experience, than to try to extend IPv4 lifetime, an effort with diminishing returns.