V6 still not supported

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) pthubert at cisco.com
Tue Mar 22 15:33:52 UTC 2022

Hi:

IPv4 is 40 years  old. IPv6 is 25 years old. In Internet time, both are old timers.

Since then, networks have evolved dramatically, with new physical media like wireless that hates broadcasts, and new logical constructs like overlays in cloud and SD WAN which require new IP abstractions and more control.

Question is whether we keep complaining for the next 25 years that choices made 25 years ago were inadequate, or work on evolving stuff to meet needs.

There are groups at the IETF that standardized IPv6 evolutions for those networks. We now have means to decouple the IP abstractions of Link and Subnet from the underlaying L2/L1 constructs and provide a deterministic state about the end points to the network. The equivalent for IPv4 did not really happen.

The rest of the world will follow the evolution because there's not enough IPv4 for Africa or Asia anyway. I see the analogy with the industrial revolution, England stuck to coal and steam when the world that had nothing moved on.

Which side are you on?

Pascal