V6 still not supported

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Mar 22 12:45:08 UTC 2022

john,

fwiw your story matches what is left of my memory.  one nuance

> That’s not to say that there wasn’t "IETF politics” involved, but
> rather that such politics were expressed as enormous pressure to “make
> a decision”

my take was that cidr had done a lot to relieve the immediate technical
pressure for the short term; but there was a deep fear that the industry
press was stirring a major poolpah about the end of the internet due to
ipv4 exhaustion.  i.e. a seriously flawed technical compromise was
pushed on us in reaction to a perception of bad press.

i have learned that, when i am under great pressure to DO SOMETHING,
it's time to step back, go make a cup of tea, and think.  the ietf did
not.  and here we are, a quarter of a century later, still trying to
clean up the mess.

randy