VPN-enabled advance fee fraud

Mark Seiden mis at seiden.com
Mon Mar 21 19:38:51 UTC 2022

of course, jay is right (in the US, anyway).

vpn providers often keep the (verified) email address and ip addresses used for service establishment.
expressVPN takes bitcoin and what look to me like several other anonymous payment schemes, and there
are always prepaid debit cards.

following the money sometimes helps.

the more general problem is that, absent a govt regulator insisting that EVERYBODY do this (as in China)
few service providers will want to do this voluntarily because it represents a cost to them which many of their
competitors don’t have.  (registrars are another example of a service provider with this conundrum.)