BOOTP & ARP history

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sat Mar 19 18:49:21 UTC 2022

I had completely forgot about RARP! We had similar considerations when I
designed the Lantronix terminal servers. We patterned them off of the
DEC terminal servers on the DEC side which net loaded images (I want to
think that DEC used MOP to download, but I could be wrong), but the
combination of bootp and tftp served our purposes for booting IP. The
thing about RARP is that getting an IP address is nice, but what about
the DNS server address at a minimum? I think we might have even had a
boot loader for Netware. Life was much more complicated with all of the
competing networking stacks and having no clue which one was going "win".

IPv6 in comparison was very familiar ground. To me it seemed that it was
ipv4 with bigger addresses and that was about it. But I've never
understood all of the strum und drang about ipv6.

Mike