V6 still not supported

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 18 20:44:13 UTC 2022

> What I would LOVE to see that someone will pop in with new IP protocol
> that is much more similar to IPv4, just extends address space and fixes
> some well know issues. (for example remove netmask and use prefixlen/CIDR).

This shows a fundamental lack of understanding… Netmask and Prefixlen/CIDR are just
Different ways of representing the exact same thing. While it’s true that prior to CIDR, one
COULD implement discontiguous net masks, this was rare in actual practice and had no
real use, so nothing was lost in eliminating that capability.

Internal to the operating system, regardless of whether presentation is as a CIDR length
or a netmask, it’s still stored and compared against addresses as a bitfield.

> Other importand aspect is some kind of IPvX -> IPv4 interop, so you can
> quickly put clients into new protocol and they have access to entire IPv4
> internet out of the box.

Client A has a 128 bit address.
Client B has a 32 bit address and does not understand packets with 128-bit addresses.

Please explain how these two clients interoperate.

That is literally what you are asking for here. Math says it doesn’t work.

> Also, we need to please enterprises so we need largish RFC1918 space too.

Why? Why does RFC-1918 space need to exist at all? Why not simply use transparent addressing and stop mutilating packet headers?

However, if you really think this is important, I will refer you to what is called ULA in IPv6. It’s pretty much all the same problems of RFC1918 minus the high probability of collision when merging two networks.

> Just my 2 cents again ;)

I think you have over-valued it.

Owen