V6 still not supported Re: 202203181137.AYC

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Fri Mar 18 16:13:15 UTC 2022

Dear Matt:

1)    "... I would *love* to see IPv4 get extended, a software patch
applied to devices, ...   ":    Please have a look at a concise
whitepaper below that does what you are hoping for and more. It proposes
an overlay architecture, called EzIP, tethered from the current Internet
proper. Each EzIP module, called RAN is supported by one IPv4 public
address. Since the RANs appear to be private networks from the
Internet's perspective, all equipment and operation within it can make
use of what is possible by current IPv4 hardware and software but avoids
any undesired ones. In particular, the only engineering effort required
to enable this process is "*/disabling/* the program code that has been
*/disabling /*the use of the 240/4 netblock". This applies only to the
routers, not patching the individual IoTs (devices). I believe this is
much simpler than you are envisioning. I will be glad to describe any
specifics that you may come across.

https://www.avinta.com/phoenix-1/home/RevampTheInternet.pdf

2)    "...  IPv6 die a quick painless death. ...    ":    EzIP work only
focuses on enhancing the IPv4 portion of the Internet. What happens to
the future of the IPv6 is entirely a separate topic. Or, as a common
expression says, let the market decide. 😉

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-18 12:12)

NANOG Digest, Vol 170, Issue 20

Message: 31