V6 still not supported

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 02:24:14 UTC 2022

I'd flagged this to reply, but sadly am a bit behind....

On 3/10/22 11:02 AM, Matthew Walster wrote:
> IPv6 is technologically superior to IPv4, there's no doubt about that. It is vastly inferior when it comes to understanding what is going on by your average sysadmin, network engineer, IT helpdesk person -- it is just far too complicated. Even the wording
> is confusing, e.g. router/neighbor "solicitation/advertisement" instead of "request/reply".

I'd wanted to clearly distinguish this from the old methods:

    This is intended to replace ARP, ICMP Router Advertisement, ICMP
    Redirect, ICMP Information, ICMP Mask, and OSPF Hello in the [IPv6]
    environment. There are also elements of the OSI ES-IS and IS-IS Hello.

We were forward looking to deployments of thousands of systems per link, rather
than the 30 maximum under then current ethernet standards.  We needed fewer
announcements, less chatty traffic, and more specific traffic designation.

We also prioritized network security.  Moreover requiring addresses be ephemeral,
such that applications would not be able to tie authentication/authorization to an
IPv6 address and would be motivated to use cryptographic security.

Unfortunately, later committees decided that rather than a single simpler secured
address assignment scheme, we needed unsecured SLAAC and duplicate DHCPv6.
Three ways to do the same thing are always a recipe for disaster.

> IPv6 is a case study in how all too often human factors are not considered in the design of engineering projects. [...]

Reminder: I was an operator and one of the original NANOG members.

We spent a lot of time considering human factors.  I'd pioneered the
"Operational Considerations" section of the original draft RFCs.

IPv6 is a case study of what happens with committee-itis.

The small design team worked well.

On 3/16/22 9:03 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
 > Given the billions of people who eat and sleep for HOURS every day, I
 > think I am doing pretty well by just coordinating three people part-time
 > trying to improve IPv4 a little bit.  [...]

Please tell me where this excellent effort is underway?