"Permanent" DST

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Mar 16 19:58:23 UTC 2022

On 3/16/22 10:41, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Have we not learned, yet, the "don't lie to the computers" rule?
>
> How *would* the timezone libraries handle "DST always on"? They would still
> have to flap, twice a year, right?

It depends. The easy ones have two settings with an optional third.

1. Offset from UTC
2. DST yes/no
3. Specify date and time to switch DST on/off.

Setting 3's default was tweaked in 2007 in the US when DST was expanded.

Easy-peasy. Set the appropriate offset in option 1 and set option 2 to
No. Option 3 is irrelevant.

Some systems are dumbed-down with drop-down menus listing cities like
"Americas-Los Angeles" and similar. These will require a bit of work on
the back end.

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV