"Permanent" DST

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 16 18:09:14 UTC 2022

> On Mar 15, 2022, at 12:44 , Jay Hennigan <jay at west.net> wrote:
>
> On 3/15/22 12:26, Ray Van Dolson via NANOG wrote:
>> I think this is essentially the bill:
>> https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/69/text
>> Not finding anything about 15 degrees.
>
> The 15 degrees is kind of a joke. It means that "high noon", when the sun is at zenith, would occur roughly 15 degrees east of noon local clock time.

You have that backwards… With California observing MST, the sun would reach it’s Zenith in California at 11 AM local and Noon California would see the sun
roughly 15 degrees west of it’s Zenith.

> It's kind of like the meme showing a Native American saying, "Only a white man would cut a foot off of the top of a blanket, sew it on the bottom, and think he has a longer blanket."

Which is why ending the time change is a really GOOD idea.

Honestly, I have zero dog in the fight over which timezone any particular state ends up in. I do favor entire states being in the same timezone as much as possible.
So whether California ends up classed as PST, MST, PDT, or UTC permanently, I really couldn’t care less, so long as we don’t have to keep adjusting clocks.

Owen