Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock Re: 202203161019.AYC

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Mar 16 15:38:51 UTC 2022

> 2)    Re: Ur. Pt. 2) " So replace every CPE device, including ...   ":
> It is evident that  you even did not glance at the EzIP Draft Abstract
> before commenting, but just relying on your recollection of the past 240/4
> efforts. Please spend a minute or two on reading the EzIP Abstract. In
> particular, please look for a keyword "overlay". Hint, this was not our
> invention. It was a concise characterization by an authoritative Internet
> figure. So, we imported it into our latest IETF draft update. Hopefully,
> this keyword will steer your opinion on EzIP.

I've read the draft. Your proposal appears to rely on a specific value in
the IP option header to create your overlay. While that sounds good on
paper, it's operationally been best practice for at least the last decade
(maybe longer) to drop any packet with an IP option set that you don't
explicitly want because a significant number of routers kick every
packet with options to CPU, so any substantive traffic flow with options
set could knock devices over.  I can't speak to the current state of router
processing, but I'd bet dollars to donuts most of those filters are still
in place.

So, assuming your proposal were to eventually become an adopted standard,
before it could reliably work across the general internet :

- Any device that still treated 240/4 differently would need to be updated
to treat it like anything else.
- Any existing filters that dropped packets with *any* IP option set would
have to be modified to permit the ones you define for EzIP
- At least some router software would have to have IP option handling
adjusted in some way. ( At one point in the past, one big router vendor
only allowed you to configure an ip-options filter based on the IANA
defined values, not others. )

This is a LOT of work and time for an overlay.