Not Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Mar 16 03:43:51 UTC 2022

I think I basically understand the policy and allocation processes.

What I was looking for was some characterization of the current trends
for IPv4 requests, particularly how urgent and worthy they might be
and the amount of space being sought.

RIRs will receive those requests. The rest of us don't see them.

There is also the secondary market which is related but perhaps not
the RIRs' concern or place to characterize though I'd imagine they
have some information based on transfer requests.

That might give us some insight based on actual requests, queues, etc.

Put another way, are those trying to get 240/4, 127/16, etc, space
released for allocation actually solving a real problem beyond some
broad hand wave of "more (IPv4 space) is always better"?

--
        -Barry Shein