"Permanent" DST

Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com
Tue Mar 15 20:19:07 UTC 2022

> On Mar 15, 2022, at 2:40 PM, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If Canada doesn't do the same thing at the same time, it'll be a real hassle, dealing with a change from -8 to -7 crossing the border between BC and WA, for instance. It has to be done consistently throughout North America.

Nah, not really a big deal. The transportation world has handled it just fine for Arizona, and previously, Indiana.

Heck, here’s where it gets real confusing.

Arizona does not observe DST as a state. However, freight railroads in Arizona DO. At least BNSF Railway does. So for a good chunk of the year, if you are involved with the railroad, you have to clarify if events are happening at 8 a.m. city time or 8 a.m. railroad time.

At least that’s how it was last time I was down there as a railroad contractor.

-Andy