Juniper vMX Trial - fake news?

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Mar 14 19:01:28 UTC 2022

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 01:29:41PM -0500, Matt Harris:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 1:23 PM Daryl G. Jurbala <daryl at introspect.net>
> wrote:
>
> > The last time I worked with vMX was several years ago.  The image was
> > outdated to the point of having to fire up an older version of VMWare to
> > export the two VMs so I could import them back into 6.  The
> > documentation barely existed.  I had to figure out which vmware adapters
> > corresponded to which vMX adapters.  No one really seemed to be able to
> > help at Juniper, even though we ended up licensing the things so we were
> > "real" customers of this product.
> >
> > It looked a lot lot an abandoned project.  So unless something has
> > changed in the last few years it's not looking good.
> >

> Interesting. I haven't had an opportunity to try vMX because of its lack of
> Hyper-V support, but we do run vSRX in production quite a bit including
> junos versions from 17.x up to 21.x. It's kind of janky on Hyper-V but
> works overall (the main issue being very very long boot times - 15+ minutes
> to get up and running), but we also run it on KVM on Linux with the "vSRX3"
> images, and that works a lot better. The vSRX3 images on KVM, I personally
> haven't run into any issues with. The licensing costs are pretty
> reasonable, too, imho.
>
> Good luck with what you're trying to accomplish: maybe give the vSRX series
> a shot if you're running on KVM.

vMX has not been abandoned; latest I have is 20.2B1, obviously not the
current relaease.  It works well on esxi, though I am not sure if this is
officially supported yet, and is no longer slow to boot or sync with the
vfpc.

afaiu, vfpc adapters are mgmt, vRE/vfpc internal, intf1 ...
vRE adapaters are mgmt, vRE/vfpx internal.

vSRX is a different animal, afaik.

Contact your sales rep for eval license if the webform isnt working.