Juniper vMX Trial - fake news?

Jon Sands fohdeesha at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:09:46 UTC 2022

Has anyone here actually been granted a vMX trial to demo the thing?
Their page makes it seem dead simple
(https://www.juniper.net/us/en/dm/vmx-trial-download.html) - just
request an account and/or trial and you're off to the races with a 60
day temp license. I've had two customers now asking me if vMX would be a
fit for them and my honest answer is I have no clue, because I've been
completely ignored by Juniper the two times I've tried to trial the thing.

Spoke to two different colleagues within the past ~6mo who had the exact
same experience - sent in a trial request, zero response, not even a
denial. I suppose Juniper isn't interested in selling these any longer?
It's not like we're signing up with hotmail accounts either, myself and
my colleagues have used our business emails that pull up as admin/PoCs
on 4 or 5 unique ASNs. I'm not sure what more Juniper wants, but I can
find reports of the same behavior from Juniper going back 6 years
regarding vMX trials:

https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2016-April/085229.html

https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2016-April/085231.html

I've been denigrated to downloading some ancient eval version from a
stranger's google drive I found in a search result, not much of it is
matching up with Juniper's current documentation, but I suppose this is
the experience they prefer potential customers to have :P

--
Jon Sands
MFI Labs