V6 still widely supported (was Re: CC: s to Non List Members,

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Mar 11 20:20:48 UTC 2022

It appears that Joe Maimon <jmaimon at jmaimon.com> said:
>higher penetration of native v6, I would restate that a bit more
>conservatively as
>
>Google's statistics are likely a fair barometer for USA usage in the
>large content provider arena which have a strong mobile representation.

AT&T, Comcast, and Charter/Spectrum, the three largest cable companies, have IPv6
support.  I expect a lot of Google searches and Gmail messages come from them, too.

I think it's more accurate to say that large networks have looked at the
costs and implemented IPv6.  Small networks, many of which have no need
to expand beyond their existing IPv4 allocations, largely have not.

Of course, there are a lot more small networks than large ones, even though
they don't necessarily represent many users, so guess who we hear from?

R"s,
John