Russia attempts mandating installation of root CA on clients for TLS MITM

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 18:55:16 UTC 2022

Clarification, Google Chrome has its own root CA revocation/CRL program. It
does still rely on the operating system root CA trust store.

Using a typical intranet/RFC1918 IP space environment as an example, as you
might see in any $BIGCORP, if you install your own choice of root CA in the
Windows 10 root CA trust store, Chrome's TLS1.2/TLS1.3 access to internal
resources that are https only will work flawlessly without any security
warnings. Very normal configuration these days. Used for things like DLP in
banking/corporate environments or places where the gateway between internal
IP space and the public world has a firewall in place with MITM ability for
all TLS traffic.

On any windows 10 system with local admin privileges you can manually find
this by opening MMC, go to add/remove snap-ins, select the certificates
(local computer) snap-in, left side menu browse to trusted root
certificates.