V6 still not supported (was Re: CC: s to Non List Members, (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4, NetBlock))

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:19:40 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 7:15 AM Abraham Y. Chen <aychen at avinta.com> wrote:

> Dear Ca By:
>
> 1)    It appears that you are reading the Google graph too optimistically,
> or incorrectly. That is, the highest peaks of the graph are about 38%. The
> average of the graph is about 36%. Citing "over 40%" from these is a gross
> exaggeration. In fact, the peaks were reached on weekends and holidays due
> to more residential usage, you can clearly see such by zooming into the
> graph. In addition, the graph has been exhibiting an asymptomatic trend
> ever since a few years back. The COVID-19 pushed this graph up a bit due to
> the lock-down and work-from-home factors. Below was an analysis
> pre-pandemic:

Sorry for being imprecise in my communication, the number is 46% in the USA.

> https://circleid.com/posts/20190529_digging_into_ipv6_traffic_to_google_is_28_percent_deployment_limit/
>
> 2)    Since Google is one of the stronger IPv6 promoters, usage of IPv6
> outside of the Google domain can only be lower, by simple logic deduction.

Google’s number represents how many users reach it over ipv6. Given
Google’s ubiquity in the usa, it is a fair barometer for the usa at large.
This data is helpful for content providers  estimating demand for ipv6 (46%
of users will use ipv6 if it is available)  and for the network operator
community to understand where their peers sit.

In summary, there is a lot of ipv6 on the usa internet today. Almost half
for Google, per their published numbers. Over 75% end to end ipv6 on some
large mobile networks.  Hence my appeal to view published data.

Reading anecdotal Nanog mails from a handful of folks concluding ipv6 has
failed will not leave the passive impartial observer with an accurate view.

Regards,