V6 still not supported (was Re: CC: s to Non List Members, (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4, NetBlock))

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Fri Mar 11 15:15:08 UTC 2022

Dear Ca By:

1)    It appears that you are reading the Google graph too
optimistically, or incorrectly. That is, the highest peaks of the graph
are about 38%. The average of the graph is about 36%. Citing "over 40%"
from these is a gross exaggeration. In fact, the peaks were reached on
weekends and holidays due to more residential usage, you can clearly see
such by zooming into the graph. In addition, the graph has been
exhibiting an asymptomatic trend ever since a few years back. The
COVID-19 pushed this graph up a bit due to the lock-down and
work-from-home factors. Below was an analysis pre-pandemic:

https://circleid.com/posts/20190529_digging_into_ipv6_traffic_to_google_is_28_percent_deployment_limit/

2)    Since Google is one of the stronger IPv6 promoters, usage of IPv6
outside of the Google domain can only be lower, by simple logic deduction.

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-11 10:11)

NANOG Digest, Vol 170, Issue 12

Message: 12