202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Fri Mar 11 03:50:05 UTC 2022

Dear Seth:

1)    " ...  should be ...  ":    Instead of "hand wave", this is a
diplomatic expression to challenge the software engineers' knowledge of
the networking program code for the current case. Ever since we started
our study, we were quite puzzled by why the 240/4 netblock was regarded
so special? Why no one could tell us what led to its current status, and
even after IPv4 was set to transition to IPv6? ... etc. We also could
not find anyone who could describe to us how was it being handled in the
existing programs. This included those who claimed to be experts in the
subject. Perhaps they intentionally tried to hide the detail, or they
also did not know? One day, we finally came across a program fragment
that could perform the "disabling 240/4 netblock" function. Upon
presenting it to an acquaintance knowledgeable of networking programs,
he confirmed that it was one concise technique to do the job. That was
sufficient for our purpose as system engineers, because we should not
overstep our duties by doing software engineer's programing task. That
is, as long as we can demonstrate that "there exists" a solution, like
proofing a mathematics theorem, we have completed our part of the deal.

2)    " ... discussed to death many times over ...  ":    This was what
we were told when we first looked into this subject over half a dozen
years ago, and more times along the way. As long as there was an issue
not resolved, however, every angle should be continuously explored. In
science and engineering, if we stopped studying, because of this kind of
viewpoint, we would have missed a lot of inventions and discoveries. So,
this particular consideration is not in our books.

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-10 22:49 EST)

NANOG Digest, Vol 170, Issue 11

Message: 10