CC: s to Non List Members (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Thu Mar 10 17:41:10 UTC 2022

Tom Beecher wrote:

> The only way IPv6 will ever be ubiquitous is if there comes a time
> where there is some forcing event that requires it to be.
>
> Unless that occurs, people will continue to spend time and energy
> coming up with ways to squeeze the blood out of v4 that could have
> been used to get v6 going instead. I don't foresee anything changing
> for most of the rest of our careers, and possibly the next generation
> behind us.

I dont think it is as bad as that, but what you are implicitly saying is
that even multi-decades efforts to prolong IPv4 have clear justification
to begin now, if not sooner.

As for the rest of this popular meme, instead of aspirations to force a
chosen technology down the throats of many clearly unwilling and/or
uninterested parties whom make up a still significant percentage of the
internet, perhaps more effort should be expended on

A) making the chosen technology more attractive, more useful, more
deployable, more compatible, etc. Because clearly its not enough of
those things for many, regardless of whatever personal experience or
theories you may have on the matter.

B) Keeping the rest of the internet as functional as possible, with
whatever tradeoffs make send, for the actual potential duration of A
instead of pie-in-the-sky estimates. Which have a 100% track record of
being wrong.

Persuasion, not coercion. Which even if it were possible, is wrong and
immoral.

The internet is supposed to be about mutually beneficial cooperation,
not hierarchical coercion.

Joe