V6 still not supported (was Re: CC: s to Non List Members (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock))

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Mar 10 15:21:08 UTC 2022

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 09:55:42AM +0200, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 at 21:00, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> > I really never thought it'd be 2022 and my networks would be still
> > heavily v4.  Mind boggling.
>
> Same. And if we don't voluntarily agree to do something to it, it'll
> be the same in 2042, we fucked up and those who come after us pay the
> price of the insane amount of work and cost dual stack causes.
>
> It is solvable, easily and cheaply, like most problems (energy,
> climate), but not when so many poor leaders participate in decision
> making.

I am reading your response as to imply that this is somehow my fault
(for my networks) and that I am a poor leader for not having embraced
v6.  If that's not what you meant, great, because I feel like there's
been systemic issues.

There are several ASN's I run infrastructure for, on an (as you
put it) "voluntary" basis, for organizations that run critical bits
of Internet infrastructure but which aren't funded like they are
critical bits.

The problem is that I really don't have the ability to donate more
of my time, since I am already 150% booked, and I'm not willing to
hire someone just to donate their time.

I have no idea what it is I can agree to do to make something happen
here that is accomplished "easily and cheaply".  From my perspective,
IPv4+6 is many times the effort to deploy as just IPv4, somewhere
between 5x-10x as much work depending on the specifics.  I love many
of the ideas behind v6, but adoption seems tepid.  I had to fight
years ago to get IPv6 via broadband, and most common end-user gear
still does not seem to support it, or enable it by default.

Looking at the results, I think we've screwed this up.  Just like the
e-mail ecosystem was screwed up by poor design and then stupid bolt-on
fixes, so we've finally arrived at a point where people just don't
even want to deal with the problem.  At least with e-mail, you can
plausibly outsource it if you're not masochistic.  I feel like IPv6 is
that same sort of problem, except you can't outsource it.  You can
avoid it by throwing some more IPv4 NAT and proxies into the mix
though.  And tragically, that seems to be what's happened.

... JG
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that
democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"-Asimov