Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Wed Mar 9 18:48:41 UTC 2022

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:38:20 -0800
David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> When did squatting become a justification for not allocating
> addresses?

Isn't this essentially the same thing as the DNS name collision problem
ICANN has been studying and discussing?  Perhaps scale and potential
for harm is different, but I think the essence of the challenge is
essentially the same. In the name space we are unlikely to see
.home (for example) allocated any time soon if ever thanks to what some
might describe as a form of squatting.  I would look to that work for
some perspective on when or why something like this might, or might not
be justified.

  <https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-publishes-name-collision-analysis-project-ncap-study-2-documents-27-1-2022-en>

John