CC: s to Non List Members (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock)

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Wed Mar 9 17:01:40 UTC 2022

On 09/03/2022 00:25, Tom Beecher wrote:
> The only way IPv6 will ever be ubiquitous is if there comes a time where
> there is some forcing event that requires it to be.

In about two years time, IPv4 addresses will be worth on the order of
$100/IP, assuming current trends hold.

That's a lot of revenue in leasing IPv4 to the business customers that
refuse to think about IPv6 because $reason.

It's also a lot of unit cost to add to a consumer-grade service, where
your margins are distastefully thin already (well, in some markets) and
set to get thinner when you need to buy a swathe of CGNAT boxes to keep
routing IPv4.

Even at todays's dollar price, this dilemma holds true, but I largely
suspect that there are too few fixed-line ISPs that have been forced
into CGNAT yet - the more that are, the more will wonder why they're
buying so many of them.

--
Tom