202203081821.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Wed Mar 9 04:29:04 UTC 2022

Hi, Stephen:

1)    First, logistics: Since I have been waiting for the moderation of
my first posting on NANOG, could I assume that you are sending me this
personal eMail as a Moderator?

2)    Perhaps the material provided in my writing was not sufficient,
you seem to be expressing concerns from other perspectives. As concisely
characterized by one of the "Internet fathers", the EzIP is an overlay
network relative to the current Internet. As such, the EzIP deployment
is pretty much independent of the hurdles that the current Internet
equipment or convention may impose on it. That is, we can start the EzIP
deployment leaving everything in the current Internet alone. This is
because each EzIP deployment module, called RAN (Regional Area Network)
is tethered via one IPv4 public address onto the Internet core. Since
each RAN appears to be a private network, it can be set up according to
its own requirements. That is, each RAN can make use of any desired IPv4
technology, while leaving others aside. As long as the packets on that
single access path between the RAN and the Internet conform to the
Internet conventions, the deployment of the EzIP proposal should work.

3)    " ... if you plan on endpoint computers (such as those in homes)
to use the 240/4 netblock. ...   ":    No, we do not. As presented by
the RAN demonstration cited by the whitepaper, one of the primary
criteria of the EzIP proposal is not to affect the current private
network setups. Although, other than Windows OS based products, there
are more and more IoTs do support 240/4 netblock. Even some Internet
routers appear to do so, as well.

4)    " ... DD-WRT project? ...    ":     EzIP does not have any
ambition to alter or replace the existing Internet equipment in any
sense. Fortunately, we can deploy our solution without such complication
due to the overlay characteristics. Our main goal is to demonstrate that
"*/there exists/*" one feasible configuration that can operate EzIP in
parallel to the existing Internet for providing equivalent services.
 From such a skeletal reference, one can expand to larger deployments,
as well as put on desired features and capabilities. For example, we
have utilized OpenWrt 19.07.3 to demonstrate the feasibility of the EzIP
scheme. Since the enabling technique is "disabling the program code that
has been disabling the use of the 240/4 netblock",  any other projects
such as DD-WRT can replicate it just as well, if so inclined.

5)    "... Firewalls ...  NIST ...   ":    Since EzIP is only
identifying the additional address resources from the "Reserve" and
suggesting how to use it, I am not clear why high level functionalities
such as security related firewall tasks get involved here. Do NIST
Guidelines specify blocking any packet with the 240/4 netblock address?
I failed to spot such.  Since there is no natural division between the
240/4 netblock from the rest of IPv4 address pool, I can't see any
reason to single this netblock out in the firewall related tasks anyway.
Do you know the reason why? I would appreciate very much if you could
elaborate your concerns.

6)    By the way, the EzIP's RAN is actually very much the same as
CG-NAT or CDN, architecturally.  The only difference is that EzIP
Project manged to identify a larger usable address pool enabling the
practice of static addressing to simplify operation logistics, mitigate
cyber insecurity, etc.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-09 23:28 EST)