202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Tue Mar 8 15:46:44 UTC 2022

Hi, Tom:

0)    Thanks to your thoughts.

1)    First, logistics: Since this was my first post to this Forum, I
got an auto-response stating that my post was being moderated. Then, I
got your message even before I received any follow-up notice from such,
nor my writing being published. Are you responding to the general
distribution or acting as a moderator?

2)    " .... an overly convoluted mechanism to tunnel 240/4. ....
":    We started our work due to curiosity. As we made progresses in
various areas, quite a few topics have distilled to a different yet much
clearer picture. Allow me to describe the current EzIP proposal with
respect to these aspects:

     A.    "overly convoluted":    EzIP proposes to make use of the
long-reserved 240/4 NetBlock by utilizing the RFC791 to carry it.
However, this is only needed for the long term full end-to-end
deployment. For the immediate EzIP configuration that is for supporting
the current Server / Client (Master /Slave) model (similar to the
current CG-NAT, or CDN), EzIP will be using a degenerated configuration
which we call it RAN (Regional Area Network) where the standard IPv4
packet header will be suffice, even without the RFC791. I believe these
schemes are opposite to "convoluted".

     B.    "tunnel": Instead of tunneling in the current sense of 6to4
tunneling, or similar, which interacts with the parameters of
transmission environment, EzIP is an */overlay/* network consisting of
RANs (Regional Area Networks), each is tethered from the current
Internet via one IPv4 public address. Since each RAN appears to be a
private network to the Internet core, pretty much everything in the RAN
is independent of the latter. Direct communications between IoTs
residing in separate RANs, when needed, will still be carried by native
IPv4 packets (with the addition of Option Words carrying IoTs' Source
and Destination addresses within the host RANs, respectively).

     Could you please clarify your characterizations of the above?

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-08 10:46)