202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Mon Mar 7 22:14:40 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues:

0)    I was made aware of a recent discussion on this Forum that cited
our work on the 240/4 NetBlock, nicknamed EzIP (Phonetic for Easy IPv4).
(Please see, at the end of this MSG, the URL to the discussion and the
highlighted text where the citation was made.)

1)    As the lead investigator of the EzIP Project, I would like to
formally introduce our solution by bringing your attention to an
overview whitepaper:

https://www.avinta.com/phoenix-1/home/RevampTheInternet.pdf

     In a nutshell, EzIP proposes to disable the program codes in
current routers that have been disabling the use of the 240/4 NetBlock.
The cost of this software engineering should be minimal. The EzIP
deployment architecture is the same as that of the existing CG-NAT
(Carrier Grade Network Address Translation). Consequently, there is no
need to modify any hardware equipment. There is an online setup
description (Reference II), called RAN (Regional Area Network), that
demonstrates the feasibility of this approach.

2)    There are additional consequential benefits by deploying EzIP,
such as those mentioned by our comment to Reference III in the above
whitepaper.

I look forward to addressing your thoughts.

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-07 17:14 EST)
VP Engineering
Avinta Communications, Inc.
Milpitas, CA 95035 USA
+1(408)942-1485
Skype: Abraham.Y.Chen
eMail: AYChen at Avinta.com
WebSite: www.Avinta.com

***********************

https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-November/216766.html

  Class D addresses? was: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

*Greg Skinner* gregskinner0 at icloud.com
<mailto:nanog%40nanog.org?Subject=Re%3A%20Class%20D%20addresses%3F%20was%3A%20Redploying%20most%20of%20127/8%20as%20unicast%20public&In-Reply-To=%3CFEDBF677-BC75-47F3-A92D-2611F43283BA%40icloud.com%3E>
/Mon Nov 29 18:47:14 UTC 2021/

    most of 127/8 as unicast public
    <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-November/216640.html>
    <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-November/216602.html>
    <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-November/date.html#216766>
    [ thread ]
    <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-November/thread.html#216766>
    [ subject ]
    <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-November/subject.html#216766>
    [ author ]
    <https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-November/author.html#216766>

For what it’s worth, I’ve been tracking this issue on other netops mailing lists.  There is a recent post on the LACNOG list from Leandro Bertholdo
  <https://mail.lacnic.net/pipermail/lacnog/2021-November/008895.html> referencing
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/>,
a draft proposing another way to make additional IPv4 address space
available I haven’t had time to read the draft closely, but I noticed
that it involves the use of 240/4. Subsequent googling about the draft
turned up a presentation
<https://www.avinta.com/phoenix-1/home/RegionalAreaNetworkArchitecture.pdf>
describing how the techniques described could be deployed.   I noticed that the presentation
made reference to OpenWRT, so perhaps the authors are aware of the work that the authors of the IPv4 Unicast Extensions Project have done in that area.

The adaptive-ipv4 draft will expire sometime next month, so anyone interested in seeing it move forward should contact the authors.

—gregbo