Cogent cutting links to Russia?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Mar 5 02:35:51 UTC 2022

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> I would argue they don't have much of a choice:
>
> "The economic sanctions put in place as a result of the invasion and the
> increasingly uncertain security situation make it impossible for Cogent to
> continue to provide you with service."
>
> I would expect to see others follow suit  if that is the case.

Not a sanctions lawyer...

I understand why a company may make the business decision its not worth
the effort to do a lot of extra work to get OFAC licenses. For example,
some embassies in Washington DC have difficulty finding a local bank to
handle their day-to-day transactions, and the State Department needs to
step in to help.

The Department of Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control (i.e. the
sanctions people) issued a general license authorizing transactions
related to telecommunications and mail (gl19) and internet (gl22)
regarding Ukraine.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/ukraine_gl19.pdf
https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/ukraine_gl22.pdf

The Russia sanctions are different (see a lawyer), and don't have an
explicit general license for telecommunications and mail. In the past, its
been possible to get individual export licenses for incidental
telecommunications and mail services, even for places like North Korea.

Throughout the cold war, telephone and mail services continued to be
provided across the Iron Curtain.