Cogent cutting links to Russia?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Mar 4 21:45:51 UTC 2022

On Mar 4, 2022, at 1:14 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:
> On 3/4/22 3:52 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>> I would argue they don't have much of a choice:
>>
>> "The economic sanctions put in place as a result of the invasion and the
>> increasingly uncertain security situation make it impossible for Cogent to
>> continue to provide you with service."
>
> But Tier 1's don't pay for peering.

As someone who once had to have lawyers argue (at different times) with the US Dept. of Treasury for (a) providing open source software deemed a munition internationally and (b) updating certain globally accessible lists of names and numbers for Internet use at no charge (under a US government contract no less): you do not have to receive money to be viewed as providing a service.

Regards,
-drc