Ukraine request yikes

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Mar 2 16:57:57 UTC 2022

Anybody remember the days when:

- News of the USSR's fall was leaking out over USENET?

- Folks were live posting from gas-proofed rooms in Israel, during one
of the wars?

There is a reason that the US Government was developing and promulgating
things like TOR, for a while.  Kind of useless if we cut the lines of
communication.  (Of course, removing DNS records doesn't effect
connectivity.)

Miles Fidelman

Matt Hoppes wrote:
> Information sharing should increase on the ATTACKED side... it should
> DECREASE and be cut off on the non-provoked attacker's side.
>
> On 3/1/22 3:53 AM, Matthew Petach wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 12:19 AM George Herbert
>> <george.herbert at gmail.com <mailto:george.herbert at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Posted by Bill Woodcock on Twitter…
>> https://twitter.com/woodyatpch/status/1498472865301098500?s=21
>>
>>     https://pastebin.com/DLbmYahS
>>
>>     Ukraine (I think I read as) want ICANN to turn root nameservers off,
>>     revoke address delegations, and turn off TLDs for Russia.
>>
>>     Seems… instability creating…
>>
>>     -george
>>

>> Information sharing should increase during wartime, not decrease.
>>
>> Restricting information is more often the playbook of authoritarian
>> regimes,
>> and not something we should generally support.
>>
>> Besides, GhostWriter is based out of Belarus, not Russia proper.  ^_^;
>> https://www.wired.com/story/ghostwriter-hackers-belarus-russia-misinformationo/
>>

>> Matt

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown