Starlink terminals deployed in Ukraine

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:07:41 UTC 2022

As of right now >90% of the starlink satellites in orbit function in what
we would call a bent pipe topology, where a moving LEO satellite at any
given moment in time needs to be simultaneously in view of a starlink-run
earth station and the CPE.

They have been launching satellites with sat-to-sat laser links but such
architecture is by no means fully operational yet. It does appear to be the
intended architecture in the long term, to enable several hops of satellite
in between a CPE and a starlink-run earth station.

My best theory would be that this is using existing starlink earth stations
in Slovakia or Poland. They may have accelerated the commissioning of some
of the newest ones.