Hardware & Software IPv6 Only

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 29 18:13:14 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 10:00 AM Alejandro Acosta
<alejandroacostaalamo at gmail.com> wrote:
>    Sorry for the noise. Hopefully this is a good place to ask.
>
>    Are there any IPv6 Only hardware you are aware of?. And IPv6 Only
> software too?
>
>    If so and you don't mind you can contact me off-list.

Hello,

I've written some off-Internet IPv6-only software. There are generally
only two reasons to do so:

1. You need the software to self-address a link local Interface. IPv4
doesn't do this well. It's useful for experiments in self-constructing
networks.

2. You're doing something funky with networking that has to live in a
large address space.

Since the IPv6 software APIs are 100% backward compatible with IPv4
there aren't a whole lot of other reasons to write software that's
IPv6-only.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--