What say you, nanog re: Starlink vs 5G?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 24 20:08:45 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 12:38 PM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> Frankly, I really don’t think that Dish’s idea of providing 5G mobile service from satellites is a particularly good or beneficial one and granting them 12Ghz spectrum for this purpose is probably not really in the public interest.

Hi Owen,

Did I misunderstand? I thought Dish/AT&T's plan was to use 12ghz for
-terrestrial- cell phone service, not satellite phone service. Towers
on the ground, not in the sky.

Towers in the sky are neither new nor controversial. Iridium, for
example, was based on the 2G GSM protocols modified for the bandwidth
and distances involved.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--