What say you, nanog re: Starlink vs 5G?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 24 00:04:34 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 3:12 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/23/tech/spacex-dish-fcc-spectrum-scn/index.html

The article is super light on technical detail but I think what
they're saying is:

The 12ghz spectrum has been allocated to satellite services which have
very low power signals at the receiver. Both SpaceX and Dish have
bands within 12ghz. Dish has asked for permission to use its 12ghz
spectrum for 5G which has a relatively high power terrestrial signal.
SpaceX is calling foul: the spectrum was allocated to low power
satellite signals and high power signals don't play well near low
power signals... particularly when a bunch of the transmitters are
cheap consumer equipment that may bleed some of that power into
adjacent spectrum.

Now someone with more knowledge please tell me how close I got.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin