Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Wed Jun 22 21:11:32 UTC 2022

Hi,

While it's possible to have a discussion on the topic, I think that the
only safe bet is that, when connected to the Internet, you'll definitely
be subject to scanning.

I doubt there's much you want to do at a SOC about it unless it's a
recurring situation involving a somewhat big traffic load -- in which
case, you'd probably handle it as you'd do with a DoS attack.

Scans of one sort of another happen way to often to bother (or to afford
to bother, if you wish) -- for instance, just a few days ago I was
setting up an imap server, and happened to find the service being
scanned by censys in terms of hours. For regular mass scans, you can
normally block them proactively, via a number of feeds (abuseipdb,
dshield, and others), if you find them as a nuissance or don't want to
show up in the scanner's results.

As for targetted scans, the only safe bet is that you *will* be
targetted.  So... keep the windows and doors locked. And, better, check
if they actually are locked regularly.

Thanks,
Fernando

--