Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at humancapitaldev.com
Tue Jun 21 12:42:53 UTC 2022

> On Jun 20, 2022, at 10:02 AM, Michael Butler via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>
> I treat these folk with the same respect they afford me. Not once in 30 years of having a connected network (v4 or v6) has any entity asked "is it OK if we .. ?".

Quite the opposite, I once had to endure significant frustration in contacting the organization running a system that kept emailing my abuse contacts about a historical computer I maintained, advising me that my “Insecure CISCO Router” was still accepting “dangerous" telnet connections despite the host’s banner including the text “This system is not a router; The availability of telnet access to this system is intentional.”

If you are engaging in mass scanning and are not going to listen to the targets of your scanning please at least pay attention to your results.